Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pathfinding Part II

Update on Pathfinding Progress:
     I have been working on the A* path finding algorithm for some time now. It is a fairly complex addition to the game, if not the most complex (Diamond Square, used for map generation, does give it a run for its money). Given the complexity, there are many pieces of code that need to be added and even more bugs that need to be ironed out. Unfortunately, this means that I still am not able to release the next update. Work is ongoing, and I have made considerable progress, considering I'm learning this algorithm as I go.
     The actual pathfinding code itself is up and running, and it is generating some adequate, if not always the most efficient, paths. Currently, I am working on getting the NPCs to follow that path. To do this, the previous movement code needs to be torn apart and reassembled, which is why it is taking so long. I will provide a link to download the next version as soon as I have a playable release.

Changelog:
     In other news, I have created a changelog in an effort to better document my progress on Colonist. I have made it public, so you can follow the day-by-day progress on the game. You should be able to find the link to the changelog on the right hand side of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment