Monday, May 12, 2014

Pathfinding!

     Hello everyone. So it has been a few days since I released Colonist out into the world, and I've already gotten some helpful (and thankfully positive) feedback. Over the weekend I implemented some changes based on recommendations I received, as follows:

  • Improved spawning mechanics
    • Fixed a problem where occasionally the player would spawn close to stone, making it difficult to move
    • Implemented code to ensure that Biots would no longer spawn inside of stone. There has been a vast improvement, although every now and then they do still manage to spawn in stone.
  • Items can now be picked up by holding E, as opposed to having to press it every time
  • Upon player death, the game will reset back to the main screen after a short time
     I was working on fixing some issues with movement, when I realized that it wasn't a problem that could be simply fixed. The movement system in the game as it was now was always intended to be a placeholder for a more effective (and more complex) system. I've decided to implement that system now, rather than later, so that I can flesh it out properly as the game increases in complexity. 
     I've chosen to utilize A* pathfinding in Colonist. I'm about halfway through with writing it at the time of this writing, at least so far as I can tell. However, seeing as this is a relatively large addition, I expect it to take quite a large amount of time. If all goes well, you can expect the next update by next week.

     In other news, I've decided to keep an online change log to document progress on a feature-by-feature basis. I'm not sure how to go about this yet, but I will be making a post soon explaining it. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

I appreciate any feedback I get, so feel free to leave comments, and if you enjoy the game, tell your friends! Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment